The society was formed 7th February 1946 by 12 persons who met in Townhead School here in Kirkintilloch to pool their knowledge and experience and to form the Society. This was called the Kirkintilloch and District Model Engineer and Experimental Society. The first two meetings of the new group were held in the school and then for the next two years the society meetings were held in the Co operative Halls in Broadcroft. The membership fees at that time were set at 5/- (25p) per annum.
In 1948 the society moved to a workshopin the Temperance Hall. The following year it was agreed to start a model railway section. Uptil this point the society had not specialised in any aspect of modelling, but generally catered for all aspects of the hobby.
In November 1950 the society renamed themselves as the Kirkintilloch Model Makers Club. The club was given some financial aid from the then Dunbartonshire Education Department. Due to limited resources at this time the club was forced to relocate to Cruickshank's Smithy in the Hillhead area of the town and remained there for some six years.
The club main interest was now into model railways and miniature railways. Live steam locomotives of 31/2 and 5 inch gauge were engineered by some members. An 0 gauge layout was also constructed.
In May 1955 after some correspondance with the local council another move was to be made. An inspection of the redundant bath house in the grounds of the Hillhead Comunity Centre took place. This property was detached from the main building and with some repairs and alterations, which at that time the local council were willing to undertake, the club decided to move there. In September 1956 the club moved in and were still there until the community centre was demolished in 2013.
During the summer of 1959 the club had yet another change of name this time to the Kirkintilloch Model Engineers Club.
On the 11th March 1965 our club along with three other clubs from the Glasgow area held an exhibition in the McLellan Galleries in Glasgow. This show has since become an annual affair. The exhibition has gone from strength to strength over the years and is now held in the SECC centre in Glasgow. This is one of the longest running exhibitions in the UK.
In 1973 with the assistance of the Kirkintilloch Town Council it was proposed that the club would construct an outdoor track in Woodhead Park. After a lot of work and time given up by the members the new Strathkelvin District Council put the club under severe operating conditions that it was decided to abandon the project.
In February 1983 the 0 gauge section which only a handful of members decided to break away from the engineering section. Also during this year an extraordinary meeting was called in May to discuss the change and to have two separate sections with different names. The new name the Kirkintilloch Model Engineering Society and the Kirkintilloch Model Railway Club. The society and the club are still functioning today. The society is one of the oldest in Scotland and possibly the UK
The scociety celebrated it's 60th Aniversary in 2006 with a special get together of members and friends and was a smashing event held over a weekend.
The society today like most societies has moved to Ltd status. The society operates a track in Colzium Country Park in Kilsyth and also a portable track at various gala days during the summer.